Monday 27 June 2011

Hexagons, books & a flower frog.......

We'd been away for a few days and on my travels bought a couple of books, including the tatting book above.  The picture above is from the Aamzon site, where I would have to agree with all the reviews on this book.  I've been reading through it first & then will have a try.  I did buy a couple of crochet pattern books (a baby pattern book and one on old fashioned doilies) plus a 1970's Australian Book of Crochet - all absolute gems.

 Also bought the vase and frog above.  I started out in embroidery like everyone else - with one pair of scissors, then they just seem to multiply.  I'd seen on some other blogs collectors of flower frogs, but this one looked as though it would suit me perfectly and it was a find at $18.  The vase is in mint condition as is the internal frog and once it was washed just gleams and there are 8 smaller holes around the side & a central opening in the frog - so no more new scissors for me......well not for the moment anyway....
Finally to the hexagons.....I've done 20 for the top of a cot quilt.  The light background bears were done by my late mother in law - the rest of the fabric is also hers, except for the 4 bears on blue background.  I have 6 white hexagons to sew for the centre, then will sew it together & put it onto a white piece of homespun.  I've chosen a bright yellow for the backing & binding, then will decide how I want to quilt this up - I'm thinking of an all-over quilting across the hexagons (free motion style) rather than in the ditch.  Any thoughts????  Sorry for the picture quality, but I laid these out on my sewing table rather than bending to the floor......

I planted my apple trees on the weekend (a pink lady and a gala) and now just waiting on my peacharine and mariposa plum.  I'm looking forward to being able to pick my own fruit.....so hopefully these trees will setlle in nicely.....

Have a great week....

~Karen~

2 comments:

  1. I have the Rebecca Jones tatting book and it is really good. Haven't done any tatting for a while though...

    Silly me; i was looking for a frog; not realising you meant the vase. I hadn't seen these before; but i think I might have to scour our op shops for one. My scissors are multiplying as well; not that I am complaining!!!

    good luck with the quilt, i think it will look lovely when finished. No ideas about the quilting though. I truly think whatever you decide to do it will look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vase and scissor collection. I now have three pairs just for embroidery. One that is pretty general and another with a really fine sharp point for hardanger and then another pair for my birthday just because they were cute! Love the hexagons and with the quilt I am doing it is all handquilted 1/4inch in from the seam line of each hexagon.

    ReplyDelete